Wednesday 7 December 2016

Super Wild Card RAM upgrade part 2

A big thank you to Porchy for sending me two 18V10 gal chips so I was able to continue the SWC ram upgrade. Everything I needed to know and the two 32mb gal files are all in this thread, I basically just copied what was going on in rcade's two pictures. His pictures are of a later revision to mine known as the Goldstar version due to the Goldstar floppy controller chip where as mine has a Motorola floppy controller.

The pcb layouts are a little different but the modification is exactly the same. 3 lifted pins, 3 wires and a single cut trace. I've also upgraded the bios to the latest version (2.8CC) since last time.


Loaded a 32mb game using my old laptop and....

 Success!

The floppy disk drive is starting to fail so I might look into replacing it with a floppy emulator that uses a usb stick some time in the future.

8 comments:

  1. Hello, I have the same exact SWC board. I just got the new PEEL chips and Bios but I can't get the 32MB to work properly after the mod. There are problems with the SRAM. Do you happen to have a photo showing the bottom solder side of the board? Thanks for your reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a diagram I made, maybe it'll help.
      http://www.geocities.jp/shicky256/swc/index.html

      Delete
    2. Hello Nathan, Can yo upload the pictures on your digram agian? Reg

      Delete
  2. Does your "memory mode" work after 2.8cc upgrade? Mine only works with 2.7cc...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello my english is not very good, so I am a litle bit confused with the "to pin 36" and the "via pin 36 where it was connected". So would it be possible to have a picture of the other side of the board ? I understand you have to cut pin36 of the momory, but which pin of the peel do you solder it to (the 3rd or the 4th ?), and the other one (3rd or 4th) do you connect it to a pin of the trace you cut ? best regards ! and thank ou for thiese informations

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take some pictures of the back of the board and add them when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello I im going to do the upgrade on my SWC but i dont have so mutch knowlegde on old tech, I had a picture of the back but seem to lost it. Can you upload one? Reg

      Delete
  5. where can i get the chips pre programmed for Motorola model sms3201

    ReplyDelete