Thursday 2 March 2017

1943 pcb repair

I bought this 1943 pcb in a lot of four faulty boards, it was shown as having sprite glitches in the ebay auction. I used dip switch 2 to pause the board on the explosion that happens at the very start of the game as this is very easy to see unlike some of the more minor issues.

Using mame I found that the explosion sprite is stored in eproms 6 and 10 on the bottom pcb so I focused on this area.


After pocking around a bit with the logic probe I found that probing the 74LS74 @4C caused the image to get worse. I stuck the logic comparitor on it but it didn't report any issue. I wasn't conviced though and piggybacked a known good 74LS74 on the one at 4C.



This completely fixed the issue.

I soldered in the replacement, repair complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment