Tuesday 7 March 2017

Sidearms pcb repair

The next pcb from that faulty lot of four to go on the bench is a original capcom Sidearms. This one had sprite issues much like the 1943 pcb. The player and enemy sprites were missing with just the odd glitch showing up.



Again like the 1943 pcb I checked the bottom pcb near the graphics roms but this time didn't find any problems. This just leaves the custom chip which I did suspect from the start but it's best to rule out the easy stuff first just incase. Luckily I had a non working Block Block pcb with the same custom chip (86S105) in the scrap pile.

Even with the desuicide mod / roms this Block Block board was not booting so I had no way of knowing if I was swapping one bad 86S105 for another.

Replacement 86S105 fitted. 

Luckily the custom was fine. :)

2 comments:

  1. I need a 86s105 Custom Capcom Chip. Any ideas where I can get a donor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to track down a faulty / dead board that has this chip and hope that it works. Some china chip sellers claim to have some but they could be fake or bad. Either way it's a gamble with these custom chips unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete