Wednesday 17 May 2017

1084ST Commodore monitor repair

These Commodore monitors are great for the test bench (when they work) as they accept RGB video and have lots of nice adjust pots. This ST version of the 1084 seems to be the most obscure version with little information online and one of the only versions that doesn't have schematics available (typical).

When I got it, it was completely dead the led didn't even light up. With no schematics available I just poked around looking for any obvious problems and hoped for the best but found nothing. After testing all the capacitors, diodes, bridge rectifier and anything else I could test I couldn't find any issues. I even tried a replacement HR Diemen flyback but that made no difference, still dead.

I took a break from looking at it for a while but when I came back to it I spotted an 8 pin ic labeled TDA4605, a google for the data sheet reviled that it's control circuit ic for switch mode power supplies. I am sure I could have tested it in circuit with the scope but as I was running out of parts to check and a new one was only £2 including postage I decided just to order a new one and try it.

I fired it up and.....

 

Composite works too. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    Are you in the UK. I have a non working 1084st monitor. Any chance you could have a look at it? I'll pay for a fix! Many thanks John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry no, my knowledge of this monitor is posted above and I got very lucky.

    ReplyDelete