Sunday 18 June 2017

Mr Do! pcb repair

This Mr Do! pcb wouldn't boot and just displayed a screen of garbage.


This was caused by a bad 74LS138 @A3. Once I replaced the 138 nothing changed, I checked reset pin with my logic probe and it wasn't kicking in. After about 15 seconds it finally kicked in and the game booted.

The capacitor that causes the delay is the cap @ C14 which was a 22uf, interestingly the schematics suggest a 47uf cap which would make the delay even longer.


I checked another Mr Do! pcb and that had a 0.47uf disc cap at C14, so I replaced the 22uf cap with a 0.47uf electrolytic as that's all I had on hand but it worked perfectly and reset kicks in right away now.

This just left one remaining issue, the player and enemy sprites were missing (I forgot to photograph this). I finally tracked it down to a bad output on 74LS32 @ E3.


Repair complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment