Thursday 17 November 2016

Super Wild Card RAM upgrade (SNES Copier)

I opened this up initially just to remove the battery before it leaked but noticed two empty spaces for more ram which would take it from 24mb to 32mb. Would it be a case of simply soldering in two more dram chips?

There isn't much information out there but a google search did find some forum threads that suggested I'd have to replace or reprogram the two PAL/GAL/PEEL chips (PEEL in my case) and also cut some traces / add some wires so the machine could make use of the extra memory.



The ram looked familiar, I checked some old pc ram I have and sure enough one stick (dated 1992) with the exact ram chips on it, even the same manufacture perfect!.


 Added some chip quik to two of the chips and yoink.

Two rams added to the SWC and two decoupling caps (one on the underside of the pcb).


Time to power it up and make sure it still works.


It works and how much ram does it see..


Woot! I need to do some more testing but it looks like the upgrade was a success.

UPDATE: Looks like I need to replace the PEELS and do the wire mods as loading any 32mb rom results in a black screen, to be continued.

4 comments:

  1. I have a couple of SNES copiers with broken PEEL. Where can you get the code for those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 32MB Super Wild Card PEEL and GAL code is posted here http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1821&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&sid=eb91e447f8f7d2f130ab233778bf3fbc these are the only ones that have been publicly released as far as I know. They often seem to be protected and registered unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this upgrade way back in the day and it didn't work. Figured the firmware or something would need to be updated - did you have any luck completing this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure did, check the follow up post. :)

    ReplyDelete